I love this cake and one I haven’t had for ages. I like that it has a subtle Christmas feel with the ginger rich taste but without being your traditional gingerbread.
- 100g Golden Syrup
- 100g Black Treacle
- 100g Soft Brown Sugar
- 150g Butter
- 125g SRF
- 75g Wholemeal Plain Flour
- 1tsp of Baking powder
- 2tsp of Ground Ginger
- 2 Eggs
- 70ml Milk
- 2 Pieces of stem ginger
- Melt together the butter, sugar and syrups on a low heat in a medium sized sauce pan until the butter is fully melted and the sugar has dissolved and then leave to cool slightly.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a 2lbs Loaf tin with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl weigh the flour, ginger, and baking powder. Mix in the liquid sugar mix with the flour mix until no lumps.
- Chop the stem ginger into small pieces.
- Beat in the eggs and the milk. You may need a little more if your mixture is still stiff.
- Finally mix in the stem ginger and then pour into your tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes until soft on top, when you place a skewer into the middle it should come out with sticky crumbs but not raw.