It’s back!!! Willey’s weekly bake is back. I hope you have all been missing me (I mean my baking). I took a well needed break due to buying a house, starting a new job and an intense, compact racing season taking up weekends too. I am still working from home and looks like it will be that way for the near future. I don’t think we will be back in properly until the spring. With the dark nights at least I can make the most of having a lunch hour at home to fit in baking! I had been craving babka again after it was featured on the great British bake off again. I decided to make it with Nutella with added pecans for more texture to the filling.
- 540g Strong White Bread flour
- 7g Fast action dried yeast
- 2 Eggs
- 150ml Milk (Plus extra for glazing)
- 1/4 tsp of Salt
- 40g Caster sugar
- 140g Butter
- 100g Nutella
- 30g Soft brown sugar
- 50g Pecans
- To make the babka, start with warming the milk slightly in the microwave and whisking in the yeast and 1 tsp of the caster sugar.
- Add the flour, remaining caster sugar and salt to a large mixer with the dough attachment.
- Add both eggs and the milk slowly into the flour on a medium speed to knead together until starts to form a smooth dough.
- Then add the butter in small pieces until fully combined.
- Cover the dough and leave to proof in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Once doubled in size make the filling by slightly melting the Nutella.
- Add the soft brown sugar and add in chopped pecans.
- Roll out the dough to 60 x 40cm and spread the filling over the dough as close to the edges as you can get.
- Then roll the along the long edge and then cut down the middle to revel the layers of filling.
- This should create two strands, then twist the two strands together tucking the ends underneath.
- Place in a greased 2lbs cake tin cover and leave to rise for an hour until doubled in size.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Brush with a little extra milk to make glossy, then bake in the oven for around 40 mins to one hour until crispy on top and will be light and fluffy in the middle.