This weeks bake is a slightly different one, this is based of what I would usually do for a carrot cake but I had so many home grown yellow courgettes that I’ve been trying to find other ways to use them up. This was a delicious cake and lovely by itself or you can top with a mascarpone vanilla icing.
- 3 Eggs
- 200g Self Raising Flour
- 1tsp of Baking powder
- 200g Margarine
- 80g Caster Sugar
- 120g Soft Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp of Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp of Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of Ground Ginger
- 1.5 Courgettes or 1 Large.
- Zest and Juice of one orange or two clementines
- Drop of vanilla bean paste
- 45g Pistachios
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line a 2lbs loaf baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter/marg with both the sugars and vanilla bean paste until light and fluffy.
- Whisk the eggs in a jug.
- Weigh the flour, baking powder, and spices into a separate bowl.
- Add the eggs slowly and add flour mix equally on a slow speed into the sugar mix until fully incorporated.
- Then turn up the speed and beat high.
- Grate the courgette and using a tea towel squeeze out as much of the water as possible.
- Zest the orange into the mix and the juice along with the courgette and mix until well combined.
- Chop the pistachios into small pieces.
- Pour the cake mix into the tin and scatter the pistachio pieces on top.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.