Using something seasonal this week – Rhubarb! I love Rhubarb I think of it as like a sour sweet of the fruit world. I am still struggling to find ideas of things that I know Jake and I will manage to eat between us. I made this as a loaf cake as I didn’t want to do a large round one as we would never have got through it otherwise!
- 3 sticks of Rhubarb
- 1 Orange ( Zest and Juice)
- 175g Self Raising flour
- 150g Butter
- 150g Caster sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp of Milk
- 1tsp of Baking powder
- 25g Demerara sugar
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius, line a loaf tin with baking paper and grease.
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar until light and creamy.
- Add in the eggs and half the flour and beat together, this will stop the eggs from splitting.
- Then add the remaining flour, baking powder and the orange zest and beat together until fluffy, then add the milk to loosen.
- Chop up the rhubarb into small pieces and place in the bottom of the tin, then sprinkle with the Demerara sugar. Then squeeze over the orange juice.
- Spoon the cake mix into the tin and level.
- Bake in the oven for 25 – 30minutes until golden brown on top.
- Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes then remove from tin and remove paper leaving it rhubarb side up.
- Enjoy, even better served as a dessert with custard!