I am struggling to think of new ideas now that Jake and I will be able to eat between us as we can’t see anyone for me to share my baking with! I made a small batch of these Welsh Cakes with chocolate chip/chunks though as I am not that keen on currants and neither is Jake. I made these a long long time ago but wash craving them and they go perfect with a mid-morning cup of coffee.
- 225g Plain flour
- 1tsp of Baking powder
- 75g Caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 100g Butter
- 3 tbsp of Milk
- 50g Chocolate chips (They are better than chunks as I found the chunks to burn a little and cause issues when trying to roll my dough thin enough).
- Rub the butter into the flour and baking powder to resemble bread crumbs.
- Add the caster sugar and chocolate chips and mix together.
- Beat the egg and add to the mix and knead together to form a dough, add the milk if required to make into a smooth dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough 4mm thick then cut out circles using a 7.5cm cutter.
- Then heat a large flat frying pan on a medium heat. If it is too hot then the middles will not be cooked.
- Fry each biscuit on one side until golden and puffed up.
- Once cooked leave to cool on a wire rack. If you like roll in a little caster sugar mixed with cinnamon but this is optional.