This weeks bake is an easter themed usually I would do some kind of hot cross bun the week before or close to Easter but as it’s just Jake and I stuck in we would never get through them all. These biscuits are easy and are lovely with or without icing, they would be great to make with kids too!
- 100g Butter
- 75g Caster sugar
- 1 drop of vanilla bean paste
- 1 Whole lemon
- 200g Plain flour
- 1/4 tsp of Nutmeg
- 1-2tsp Milk
- 1 Egg yolk
- 250g Icing sugar
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line two baking trays with teflon sheets or baking paper.
- Make the biscuit dough by creaming together the butter the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Then add the flour, egg yolk, vanilla paste and nutmeg and grate the zest of a lemon and beat until it comes together. It might be a little dry so add the milk until it comes together.
- Then put in the fridge and leave to harden slightly so it is less sticky for 30 minutes.
- The roll out the dough until 0.5cm thick then use the cutters to cut the cookies.
- Then place on baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes until golden.
- Leave the biscuits to cool on a wire rack and make the icing.
- Make the icing by using the juice of the lemon and sifting the icing sugar into a bowl, use gel/paste food colouring as this then does not alter the liquid consistency.
- Make the icing thicker than you think then fill in pipping bags. Pipe the outside of the biscuits first then using the flooding method to fill the middle.