Number three of #Willeyschristmasbakes. These are a favourite of mine so I thought I’d try replicating them. I don’t think they are quite the real deal, it may take a couple more tries to get them just right. I definitely cooked them for too long so I have adjusted the recipe so it has reduced cooking time, as I love these soft not crunchy. You can also coat them in chocolate but I left mine plain.
- 250g Plain Flour
- 85g Ground almonds
- 200ml Honey
- 1 Lemon
- 2 tsp of Ground ginger
- 1 tsp of Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 85g Butter
- 1/4 tsp of ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp of ground Nutmeg
- Melt the butter and honey in a medium saucepan on low heat until no butter remains.
- Weigh all the dry ingredients into a large bowl along with the zest of the lemon.
- Leave the honey and butter mix to cool slightly then mix with the flour.
- Mix the flour and honey mix until no lumps remain then cover and place in the fridge for 1 hour until hardened.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees or 160 fan.
- Line a tray with baking paper and roll the biscuit dough into about 30 balls. You will need two trays.
- Bake for 12 minutes until golden but still soft.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.