This weeks bake was made at the weekend and these were the perfect lunchtime treat to save alone or on the side of some soup. The filling is perfectly in season by using pumpkin but I did make some standard sausage ones too so you can mix and match the fillings as you please but this will make about 20 small sausage rolls.
Ingredients for pastry
- 180g Strong white bread flour
- 180g Salted Butter
- 75-80ml Water
- 1 Small egg
Ingredients for Pumpkin filling
- 500g Pumpkin (Half a butter nut squash)
- 120g Feta
- 4 Large handfuls of spinach
- Salt and pepper.
Ingredients for sausage filling
- 6 Sausages
- 2 tbsp of caramelised onion
- Fresh thyme
- Make the pastry by cutting the butter into small chunks and rub into the flour but not fully.
- Then add the water and mix to combine and knead lightly until forms into a ball.
- Roll and fold into thirds to create layers then wrap and place in the fridge to harden,
- Roll out and third in the opposite direction and chill in the fridge again.
- Make the pumpkin filling by roasting the pumpkin with a little olive oil, salt and pepper until soft and caramelised this should take about 30 minutes on 200 degrees celsius.
- Wilt the spinach slightly and chop the feta into pieces. Once the pumpkin is cooked mix all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Make the sausage filling by squeezing out the sausage filling and mixing along with the caramelised onion, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Roll ether pastry out and put the fillings in long lines along the length of the dough.
- Brush the bit of pastry either side of the filling and flip the dough over to cover the filling and brush with egg and cut into pieces.
- Then place on a lined baking tray and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.