This weeks is a savoury number. I wanted something quick and easy to whip up. The cheese scone is perfect alternative to bread especially if you don’t have any fresh in the house but do not have time for yeasted ones. I doubled this recipe and made two rounds using different cheeses and extras to create different flavours. The first is a parmesan and chive, and the cheddar, rosemary and walnut.
- 225g Self Raising Flour
- Pinch of salt
- 60g Butter
- 60g Cheese
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 200ml Milk
- Additional flavourings- walnuts 60g, chives and rosemary (small handful)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease and line an 18cm baking tin.
- Add all the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Grate the cheese and add to the bowl along with any herbs chopped finely, leave a little of the cheese to put on top.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture until no lumps.
- Then pour in the milk and mix using a butter knife.
- Once the mixture has come together knead lightly.
- Roll out to the the size of your tin and place inside.
- Brush the top of the scone with egg or milk and sprinkle with the left over cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Enjoy warm with butter.