This weeks bake is a slightly change on an old favourite of my family recipe. I love elderflower and recently made elderflower cordial from elderflower in our garden hedges. The lovely floral scent of the cordial works perfectly with the sharp lemon. This may have become a new favourite!
Ingredients for cake
- 175g Butter
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 175g Self Raising Flour
- 3 Medium eggs
- 75ml of Elderflower Cordial
- 1tsp of baking powder
- Zest of two lemons
Ingredients for sugar syrup
- 100ml of Elderflower cordial
- Juice of two lemons
- 50g Granulated sugar
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease and line a 18cm high sided tin.
- Start by creaming together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients and beat together until no lumps are visible.
- Add the mixture to the tin and bake in the oven for around 45minutes.
- To make the syrup add all the ingredients into a small saucepan and heat on a medium heat until boils and forms a syrup.
- Add a few little elderflower petals into the syrup mixture.
- Once the cake is cooked place on a wire rack and poke holes into the cake using a skewer be careful not to go all the way through the cake.
- Pour and drizzle the syrup over the cake until all has been absorbed.