This weeks bake is a savoury one. These are the perfect evening snack to enjoy with guests with a BBQ in the summer evenings or just with drinks. But they are so moreish! I couldn’t stop eating them! If you really want to cheat with these you can use shop bought puff pastry but rough puff pastry is pretty quick and simple to make.
Ingredients for pesto
- 300g Red Pepper ( I used up some yellow in this too)
- 100g Sun dried tomatoes
- 60g Pine nuts
- 30ml Olive oil (or the oil from the sun dried tomatoes if in a jar)
- 60g Parmesan
- Small handful of basil leaves
- Pinch of sea salt and black pepper
Ingredients for rough puff pastry
- 150ml Water
- 250g Butter
- 350g Strong White Bread Flour
- Extra: Grated Mozzarella for filling, you could use cheddar if you prefer. I probably used about 60g.
- Start by pre-heating the oven to 180 degrees Celsius then cut the peppers into small bit size pieces and place on a baking tray and drizzle with a little of the oil needed for the pesto and toss together.
- Roast in the oven until brown on top should take about 20 minutes.
- In the mean time, in a large food processor, add the parmesan in small chunks, along with the rest of the ingredients. Blitz it up a few times but so that it is still lumpy.
- Add the roasted pepper and blister until you have your desired consistency, I like it smooth with a few little lumps.
- Make the dough by cutting the salted butter into small pieces and rubbing slightly into the flour in a large bowl.
- Then add the water and bring together using your hands.
- On a lightly floured surface knead the dough until soft.
- Flatten the dough out slightly and fold as many times as possible. Wrap or place in a reusable container in the fridge and leave for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Once the butter has hardened roll the dough out to a large rectangle and cut in half.
- Spread the pesto over one half of the dough and then sprinkle with the grated cheese if using.
- Place the other half the dough on top and lightly roll to combine the halves.
- Then cut into small strips this will determine the size of your twists.
- Place the strips of dough on a lined baking tray twisting either end before you place them.
- Brush with beaten egg to make them extra shiny!
- Bake in the oven for 20ish minutes until golden brown.