This is what I am calling my ultimate birthday bake, these donuts are just about everything I love! For anyone that knows me well I love anything peanut and peanut butter, peanut m&m’s you name it, I love it. My house mates and I are obsessed with the doughnuts from planet doughnut in Shrewsbury so I decided to make these after having a craving! These are quite complex and require quite a lot of steps but are worth the effort!
Ingredients for dough
- 600g Strong white bread flour
- 40g Butter
- 40g Caster sugar
- 14g Fast action dried yeast
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 Eggs
- 150ml Milk
- 80ml Water (May need more depends on size of eggs)
Ingredients for peanut butter filling
- 150g Cream cheese
- 80g Peanut butter
- 80g Icing sugar
- Drop of vanilla bean paste
Ingredients for topping
- 150g of Milk chocolate
- 1 share bag of M&M’s
Method for the doughnuts
- Add all the dry ingredients to a bowl. Ensuring that the salt and yeast are placed on opposite sides.
- Add the butter in small pieces.
- Warm the milk slightly and add to the flour mix, along with 3/4 of the water and the eggs and mix using a wooden spoon until it comes together.
- Add more of the water if required.
- Tip onto a floured work surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until a soft, smooth dough.
- Leave the dough to rise at room temperature in a covered bowel until doubled in size. This should take about 1.5 hours.
- Once doubled in size flatted or roll out gently onto a floured surface.
- Using cutters cut cut out as many circles that fit onto your piece dough I used an 8.5cm cutter for the outside ring and a cap from a spice jar to cut out the middle.
- Place the doughnuts onto baking trays ensuring there is enough room for them to rise. It should make between 10-12 doughnuts.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise again for 1.5 hours.
- Heat 1 litre of vegetable oil in the pan on a medium to high heat. Test with a little left over dough or bread it should take 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side to cook. When the test picks are placed in the oil they should sizzle and bubble.
- Place two doughnuts in at a time and play close attention when cooking.
- Place the cook doughnuts onto of a wire rack covered in kitchen roll to soak up the excess oil.
Method for the filling.
- Whisk the cream cheese and vanilla bean paste until smooth.
- Add the peanut butter and whisk again.
- Sift in the icing sugar and beat until fully mixed.
Method for topping
- Melt the chocolate in a ban maire once the doughnuts are fully cooled.
- In the sealed packet of M&M’s using a heavy saucepan or rolling pin bash the packet so some of the M&M’s break up.
Method for construction
- Dip the doughnuts into the bowl of melted chocolate, do this with all doughnuts.
- Scoop the filling into a pipping bag and the end quite large to ensure any pieces of peanut do not get stuck.
- Pipe the filling in a spiral into the centre of each doughnut.
- Once the chocolate has set a little add the M&M’s to the top using the whole ones first then filling in with crushed ones.