These were a request of my mum’s who had these often as a child and hadn’t had them for many years. I can’t take the credit for this recipe but I did add more ginger as I thought it wouldn’t be gingery enough and even after my batch I didn’t think so but this is down to personal choice so adapt the recipe as you please. I love these biscuits the high sugar content causes them to puff up and be hollow in the middle.
- 100g Butter
- 350g Caster sugar
- 2 tsp of Ground Ginger
- 1 large egg
- 250g of Self Raising flour
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius
- To start with cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat the egg into the butter mix.
- Sift the flour and ginger into the batter.
- Beat on a high speed until it forms a soft dough.
- Roll the dough into walnut sized balls and place on a baking tray lined with telfon sheet or baking paper.
- Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes until golden.
- Enjoy warm or dunked in a cup of tea of coffee.