This weeks bake is another easter themed one. I love all things almond but do not usually like marzipan as find it way too sweet. I adapted a Simnel cupcake recipe to produce my own. Making the daisy top can be quite fiddly if you have really small flaked almonds like I did but they do look impressive! I over baked some of mine as I got too into work and forgot to set a timer!
- 200g Butter
- 200g Marzipane
- 75g Caster Sugar
- 100g Self Raising Flour
- 75g of Ground Almonds
- 5 Eggs
- 2 tbsp of Milk
- Drop of vanilla bean paste
- 200g of Grace cherries
- 150g Mixed Vine fruit or sultanas
- Flaked almonds (enough for the top)
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees celicus. Prepare two muffin trays with paper cases this recipe makes 20-24 depending on size.
- In a large electric mixer, add the butter and marzipan in chunks along with the caster sugar and cream together on a high heat until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, ground almonds and vanilla bean paste and beat until fully incorporated.
- Add the eggs on at a time and beat, then add the milk.
- Wash the cherries and half enough of them to create the centre of your daisy.
- Chop the rest of the cherries into small pieces and add to the cake mix along with the vine fruit and mix together.
- Fill the cases with the cup cake mixture.
- Add the centre cherry and then create the petals with flaked almonds.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden.