This weeks bake is a little one perfect for Mothers day, these sweet but sharp biscuits are the perfect treat and would be a lovely hand made gift for any Mum. Although I am not sure that these will last around that long! They are easy to make but a the dough can be little sticky and difficult to manage if using fresh or frozen raspberries. I would recommend using freeze dried or dehydrated raspberries as they won’t change the consistency of the dough as much.
Ingredients for biscuits
- 200g of Plain Flour (300g in using fresh raspberries)
- 100g Butter
- 1 Egg
- Drop of vanilla bean paste
- 175g Caster Sugar
Ingredients for Lemon Curd Filling
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Lemons
- 50g Butter
Method for biscuits
- Start by creaming together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Then add your egg, vanilla bean paste, raspberries and flour and mix until fully combined into a soft dough.
- Wrap the dough or cover bowl with cling film and leave to harden in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius and prepare two tray with teflon sheets or non-stick baking paper.
- On a floured surface roll out the dough to about 3mm thick and using a circle cutter and a heart cutter, cut out the biscuits making sure to make equal amounts of the top and bottom pieces.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until starting to colour slightly brown round the edges.
- Place on wire rake and leave to cool fully whilst you prepare the lemon curd filling.
Method for Lemon Curd
- Start by zesting both lemons, and then squeezing the juice.
- Add the juice, zest, sugar and butter into a small saucepan on a low heat and stir continuously until the butter is fully melted.
- In a jug whisk the eggs and gradually add to the lemon mixture, whisking constantly until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Allow the mixture to cool by placing in the fridge.
- Prepare your pipping bag and then fill with the slightly cooled mixture.
- Pipe a spiral onto the bottom biscuit placing the top biscuit with the heart out of middle on top.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.