This weeks bake is for Lucy one of my house mates and besties from uni. Every cake I make seems to get the most likes, maybe that’s because they are the most unhealthy! For me I am not a massive cake lover or at least I wouldn’t pick a chocolate cake, coffee or carrot cake with mascarpone is another matter! Anyway Lucy loves kinder bueno’s and cookies hence that is what inspired the theme of the cake.
Ingredients for Cake
- 200g Plain Flour
- 225g Caster sugar
- 225g Margarine
- 4 Eggs
- 40g of Cocoa Powder
- 50g Milk chocolate
- Drop of vanilla bean paste
- 1tsp of instant coffee
- 1tbsp of Sprinkles
- 1.5 tsp of baking powder
Ingredients for Nutella butter cream
- 3 tbsp of Nutella
- 200g Salted Butter
- 320g Icing Sugar
Ingredients for topping
- 150g of Milk Chocolate
- 3 Kinder Bueno’s
- 1/4 Pack of Maryland Cookies
Method for the cake
- Start by pre-heating the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line two 18cm cake tins with baking paper and grease throughly.
- Beat together the butter and caster sugar until light, fluffy and creamy.
- Add the eggs and beat together until smooth.
- Add the flour and baking powder and beat until fluffy.
- Separate into two bowls. In one bowl add the coffee diluted with a little water along with the chocolate and cocoa powder.
- In the other bowl add the sprinkles and vanilla bean paste.
- Once the separate bowls are mixed and all the ingredients are fully incorporated add the tins.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minuets until a knife or skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the tins and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes then cut the cakes in half across the middle to create two layer.
- Allow to cool fully whilst making your butter cream.
Method for butter cream
- Beat the butter with a wooden spoon or in an electric mixer until smooth and no lumps.
- Add the Nutella and beat again until smooth and fully mixed.
- Sift in the icing sugar and mixed together gently to start with to ensure that the icing sugar does not fly out the bowl. Then beat together until a creamy butter cream is formed.
- On a cake plate or board place one layer of your cake and then spread a thin layer of the butter cream on top.
- Then add the next layer repeating this until you cake is complete.
- Then spread the rest of the remaining butter cream round the cake until smooth and even.
- Place in the fridge to harden.
Method for the toppings
- Melt the chocolate until no lumps are left and pour onto the centre of the cake.
- Spread the chocolate to the edge using a small pallet knife.
- Break the biscuits and kinder bueno and place on top of the cake to decorate.
- Serve and enjoy!