This weeks bake is for my boyfriend and his love for chocolate. He is a massive kid so I thought re-creating the childhood classic of Colin the caterpillar would be loved by him and our friends. I am sure this will be enjoyed by everyone at our meal for Jake.
Ingredients for one large Colin Swiss roll
- 6 eggs
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 93g of SRF
- 60g Cocoa Powder
Ingredients for butter cream filling
- 200g of Salted Butter (If you have unsalted add a pinch of salt instead)
- 350g Icing Sugar
- 1tsp of vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp of milk
- 50g of milk chocolate
- 2 tbsp of Cocoa powder
Ingredients for chocolate coating
- 200g of Milk Chocolate
- 30g of White Chocolate
- Smarties to decorate.
Method for the Swiss roll
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Grease and line a 40cm x 30cm tray and line with grease proof paper.
- In a small bowl sift the flour and cocoa powder.
- In a larger bowl whisk together the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the larger bowl, fold the flour into the mix carefully being sure to not remove the air.
- Once mixed pour the mixture into the tray and level using a spatula.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until soft.
- Remove from the oven and score along the long edge 2.5cm in. Then roll from the long edge inwards using a piece of grease proof paper or teflon sheet to prevent it from sticking.
Method for the butter cream
- Make the butter cream by beating softened butter with a whisk until light and fluffy.
- Melt the milk chocolate and add to the butter and beat together.
- Sift in the cocoa powder and icing sugar and add the vanilla essence and beat.
- Add the milk to soften.
Completing the Swiss roll
- Unroll the Swiss roll gently and add fill with the butter cream smoothly.
- Roll the Swiss roll back up starting with the original scored edge.
- Roll back up using the parchment paper to assist and hold in place.
- Melt the milk chocolate for the coating using a ban-maire. Pour over the Swiss roll and spread using a small spatula.
- Melt the white chocolate in a pipping bag in the microwave (I found this the easiest way to not loose too much chocolate).
- Pipe stripes over the milk chocolate. Then add smarties to decorate.
- Use the white chocolate on the teflon sheet to pipe a mouth and eyes, leave this to harder and add to finish the caterpillar.