These sweet dense little cakes are the perfect afternoon tea treat. I love Rhubarb and anything Rhubarb flavoured. This cakes are a little hint to Rhubarb and custard as the vanilla bean paste gives the taste of custard. This were a little bit of an experiment and next time I think I would put in even more Rhubarb. I only added a small amount as I was concerned it would change the texture of the Madeleines too much but I think a little more would work, so more experimentation is needed! Next weeks bake is a bit of a special. Although it will be a few days later than usual.
- 125g Butter
- 125g Plain Flour
- 4 Eggs
- 125g Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1.5 -2 sticks of Rhubarb
- Drop of vanilla bean paste
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Melt the butter and brush a little of the butter onto the Madeleine tin. Add a little of the flour and shake excess off.
- Chop the rhubarb into small pieces add a little bit of water and simmer on a low heat in a sauce pan until the rhubarb is soft and falls apart.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs along with the sugar and lemon zest until the eggs are light and fluffy.
- Pour the melted butter round the edge of the bowl and fold in.
- Fold in the rhubarb into the egg mix until well combined.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder a little at a time and fold into the mix. Ensuring that as much air is kept in as possible.
- Leave the mixture to rest in the fridge for 30-45minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Fill the Madeleines tray 3/4 full and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until light and golden.
- Dust with icing sugar and enjoy.