I needed a little midweek pick me up and wanted to use some fresh berries. I love doughnuts the usual sugar coated jam filled kind but wanted to mix it up as sometimes the big ones just get so messy. These were a great alternative as being smaller they were perfect for dipping into sauce, I chose to make a white chocolate raspberry ganache which was perfect.
Ingredients for doughnuts
- 500g Strong White Bread Flour
- 14g Dried yeast
- 40g Butter
- 50g Caster sugar (Plus extra for coating)
- 150ml Milk
- 120ml Water
- 2 Medium egg
Ingredients for dipping sauce
- 150g of White Chocolate
- 200ml of Double cream
- 70-100g Fresh Raspberries
- Drop of vanilla bean paste
- Add all the dry ingredients to a bowl. Ensuring that the salt and yeast are placed on opposite sides.
- Add the butter in small pieces.
- Warm the milk slightly and add to the flour mix, along with 3/4 of the water and the eggs and mix using a wooden spoon until it comes together.
- Add more of the water if required.
- Tip onto a floured work surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until a soft, smooth dough.
- Leave the dough to rise at room temperature in a covered bowel until doubled in size.
- Once doubled in size, roll into small balls about the size of a ping pong ball, and leave to rise until doubled.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Test using a piece of bread at the correct temperature.
- Add in a few dough balls at the same time they should take about a 1 minute 30 seconds on each side. Make sure to not have the oil too hot or the middle will be raw (This happened to a couple of mine).
- The dough balls will be cooked when a dark golden brown colour. Place on kitchen roll to drain some of the oil off.
- In a bowl roll the doughnuts in the caster sugar to coat them fully.
- To make the sauce heat the cream in a small saucepan along with the vanilla bean paste on a low heat until starting to boil.
- Remove from the heat and pour over the white chocolate and stir gentle until all the chocolate has melted.
- Break up some raspberries using your fingers and add to the chocolate sauce and mix gently and serve with the doughnuts.