I lacked inspiration this week. It’s getting to that point where I have done so many different things I almost just want to go back to doing some old favourites! But with still wanting to expand my skills and knowledge of different bakes I tried Marshmallow teacakes – like the Tunocks ones. I used a range of different recipes and didn’t quite the the amounts right and ended up with extra biscuits but they are still yummy so will get eaten!
Ingredients for Biscuits
- 200g of Salted butter
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 300g Plain flour
- Drop of vanilla bean paste
Ingredients for Marshmallow
- 1 tbsp of Liquid Glucose
- 1 Egg white
- 230g Caster sugar
- 4 sheets of Gelatine
- Drop of Vanilla bean paste
- 200g Chocolate ( I used a mix of milk and dark)
- Cream together the butter and sugar, until light and fluffy – I accidentally melted my butter when trying to soften in the microwave.
- Add the flour and vanilla bean paste and mix until it comes together.
- Knead the dough on a flour surface until it forms a dough.
- Roll out the dough until about 1cm thick. Using a 5cm cutter. Cut out all the circles.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes until golden.
- Once baked leave to cool on a rack until completed cool.
- In the meantime make the marshmallow by adding the caster sugar, and liquid glucose into a pan along with 100ml water.
- Add 4 sheets of gelatine into cold water to soak.
- Heat the sugar liquid on a medium to high heat until reaches hard ball stage about 130 degrees Celsius. It will be bubbling loads and may spit.
- Whisk the egg whites until form stiff peaks.
- Once the sugar has reached the hard ball stage remove from the heat and , squeeze the water from the gelatine sheets and add to the sugar and mix until melted along with 80ml of water.
- Slowly pour the sugar mix into the beaten egg whites. Mix the marshmallow until it thickens and becomes shiny.
- Pipe the marshmallow onto the biscuits and leave to Harden for about an hour or so.
- Melt the chocolate and then spoon and pour over the biscuits and leave to set again.