This weeks bake is a nougat, now I have made this once before at university but this time I want to do it properly this delicious treat is a perfect homemade gift for someone special, fill with your favourite nuts and fruit. I made this with Emily my house mate we chose Pistachios and Almonds. Now we didn’t read the recipe we were following properly and didn’t realise we needed rice paper, so we went on without it. You can make it without but please bare in mind that this is a very very sticky mixture and does get everywhere and the rice paper you put on the top and bottom helps to level the slices making them look a bit more professional but we took the unprofessional look to another level and added some Christmas sparkle with edible glitter. We made 1.5 times the recipe as we wanted enough to gift to friends and family, 1 times the recipe makes about 40 squares.
- 250g of Mixed nuts – choose your favourites
- 225g of Granulated sugar
- Drop of vanilla bean paste
- 140g Clear Honey
- 1.5 tbsp of liquid glucose
- 2 Large eggs
- Edible glitter
- Rice paper
- Line a 20cmx 15cm baking tray with grease proof paper, if not using rice paper dust with plenty of icing sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 80 degrees Celsius, place the nuts on a baking tray and roast lightly, warming whilst you make the sugar syrup.
- To make the sugar syrup add the sugar, honey and liquid glucose in a large saucepan with 110ml of water, on a very low heat dissolve the sugar stirring continuously. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Once dissolved turn the heat up, make sure you have a sugar thermometer in the pan and now leave the syrup bringing to a boil and watching constantly. You want the the syrup to reach the hard crack stage around 150 degrees Celsius.
- Before it reaches this stage remove the nuts from the oven and chop.
- Whilst the sugar is boiling separate the eggs and whisk the egg white in a large heat proof bowl until they form soft peaks.
- Once the mixture the hard crack stage using an electric whisk continue to beat the egg white whilst the sugar syrup is being poured into the bowl.
- Continue to whisk the eggs and sugar together until really thick and gloopy.
- Then add your chopped fruit and nuts and vanilla bean paste to flavour, it will start to get really sticky at this stage so work quickly.
- Quickly fill your prepared tray with you nougat mix and spread using a spatula.
- If using rice paper place a layer on top.
- Leave to harden fully and then cut and wrap in cellophane for gifts or enjoy yourself!