IT’S SPICE WEEK!!! I love spices so much so I don’t think I could pick one which is my favourite. This week was even more exciting for me as I took a car made out of my Christmas Spiced Biscuits and Gingerbread to The Great British Bake Off an Extra Slice with Jake. It was such good fun and Tom Allen interviewed Jake and I. It was a long afternoon filming but a wonderful day. I made some gingerbread men with the left over dough from my car. The recipe I have used is one that my family have used since I was a child.
- 360g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp of Bicarbonate flour
- 4 tsp of ground ginger
- 115g Butter
- 1 Egg
- 4 tablespoon golden syrup
- 175g Soft Brown Sugar
- Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a large sauce pan and stir continuously until fully melted.
- Remove from the heat and although to cool slightly, add the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda. Use a sift to ensure that there are no lumps.
- Add the egg to loosen the mixture, then wrap up and cool in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Prepare two baking trays with baking parchment or Teflon sheets.
- Flour a large work surface and roll out the dough until 1/2cm thick.
- Using a cutter cut out the biscuits and place on the tray making sure there is a enough space for the biscuits to spread out.
- Bake the biscuits for 10-15 minutes until they are just golden.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack then pipe with icing or dip in chocolate if you desire.