Another week another bake. The weeks are just flying by at the moment, I have now finished my placement up in Shrewsbury so I am back home in Hampshire for just under 6 weeks. I am looking forward to having a bit of a summer and enjoy some time to relax and also spend some time in Kent seeing friends and with my number 1 – Jake before heading back to Harper to finish my degree and complete my final year! This weeks bake I had a craving for scones and really wanted to use all the delicious blackberries that are filling the hedgerows over the last few weeks, I had help from three little helpers to pick my blackberries but really they didn’t help much as they just ate the rest of the blackberries!
- 225g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp of Bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp of Cream of tar tar
- 25g Butter
- 150ml Milk
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 55g Blackberries
- Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda and Cream of tar tar to a large bowl and mix together.
- Rub the butter in the flour using finger tips.
- Add the squeeze of lemon juice to the milk and mix to curdle slightly this is to replace butter milk which is hard to find in the UK.
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Line a baking tray with parchment or a reusable teflon sheet.
- Add the butter milk to the flour and the black berries and mix using a knife, do not mix to much.
- Tip the dough onto a floured work surface and knead slightly until comes together.
- Roll the dough out to 1.75cm thick. Using a 5cm cutter, cut out 10-12 scones.
- Brush the tops of the scones with beaten egg and place on tray.
- Bake the scones in the oven for 10 minutes until golden.