This weeks bake took me a long time to decide what to bake, I really wanted to do something seasonal and making something reasonably healthy but lets be honest my #Willeysweeklbake ‘s are never going to be one of those super healthy, no gluten, no dairy, fat free kind of baking. I just like to have my baking as a treat during the week. I realised that I still had loads of home grown courgettes in the fridge that needed using up so a courgette cake was what they became! It was the perfect way to use them up, creating a moist, fresh cake!
- 225g Plain Flour
- 100g Butter/Margarine
- 350g Courgette
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- Drop of Vanilla bean paste
- Zest of 1.5 oranges.
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 50g Soft Brown Sugar
- 50g Caster Sugar
Ingredients for orange syrup
- 10g Soft brown sugar
- 25g Caster sugar
- Juice of one orange
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, grease and line a 2lb load tin.
- Cream together both the sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and beat together.
- Grate the courgette and add to the cake batter along with the vanilla and the orange zest. Mix until smooth.
- Add the flour and baking powder and beat until no lumps.
- Add the cake mix to the tin and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Make the orange syrup by heating the orange juice and sugar in a small pan on a low heat until all the sugar has dissolved, heat until it forms a slightly thicker syrup.
- Remove the cake from the tin and poke small holes using a skewer. Pour the syrup over the cake and allow the cake to cool completely before serving.