These are probably one of my favourite things to eat in Sweden, minus the meatballs and banana pizza but didn’t think they would go down as well on #Willeysweeklybake so Kanelbullar it is. I love the sweet cinnamon flavour with a hint of cardamom in the bun. They are not as sweet as American Cinnamon swirls as they don’t have the icing which is one of the reasons why I prefer them.
I think my twisting and shaping skills might need some development as they were a bit inconsistent as well as the size of buns but hay no one gets everything right first time!
- 400g Strong White Bread Flour
- 50g Caster sugar
- 1tsp of ground cardamom
- 240ml of Milk
- 55g Butter
- Pinch of salt
- 2tsp of dried yeast
Ingredients for filling
- 75g Butter
- 65g Soft Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp of Cinnamon
Ingredients for glaze/finish
- 1 Egg
- Pearled sugar
- First weigh out your dry ingredients; flour, caster sugar, ground cardamon and yeast and salt, making sure the yeast and salt are not touching.
- Warm the milk so it is luke warm and melt the butter, add them to the dry ingredients and mix using a wooden spoon until it forms a rough dough.
- Knead the dough on a clean, lightly floured work surface until smooth and elastic this should take about 5 minutes.
- Then leave to rise in a clean bowl and cover with a tea towel somewhere warm (Basically any house in the UK at the moment!) for about an hour.
- Make the filling by mixing softened butter with the cinnamon and sugar.
- Once risen roll out to 35cmx35cm. Then spread the filling thinly out across the dough.
- Fold the dough like the letter, and roll again into a 20x35cm piece.
- Then cut strips of dough 20x 2cm wide (I did mine the wrong way round, so ended up with less strips and massive buns!).
- Twist the strips whilst wrapping round your hand, going over the top and up underneath to finish (This is definitely something that I need to practice perhaps watch a video to find out how it should properly be done).
- Place on a lined baking day and leave to rise again for 45-60minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Once risen, brush with egg white and decorate with the sugar pearls and bake the buns for 15-20minutes until golden brown.