This week I was totally undecided about what to bake. 94 bakes in I am struggling to think of new things to bake or twists I could put on classics. So I went to Instagram and asked for people to sane over suggestions! I had quite a few some of which I will use in the future but this one was by my Devonshire gal herself. I have only had one of these buns myself twice before so I was keen to give them a go. I had no homemade strawberry Jam left up in Shrewsbury so I had to make some of my own with plea\nty of British strawberries around at the moment this was perfect! The longest day of summer is today so what a perfect way to celebrate with delicious sweet strawberry jam and cream filled buns.
Ingredients for Jam
- 530g Strawberries
- 460g Caster sugar
- 1 1/2 Lemons
Method for Jam (I recommend making in advance to allow for setting time)
- Hull the Strawberries and put in a pan along with the juice of 1 1/2 lemons. Put on a low heat and simmer until the Strawberries have softened. This should take about 20-30 minutes.
- Then add the sugar and keep on a low heat until dissolved and then turn up and boil making sure to keep stirring at regular internals. Boil the Jam until it has reached setting point.
- Sterlise the jars with slightly cool boiled water and fill two to three medium size jars.
- Leave the Jam to cool overnight or until use.
Ingredients for buns
- 500g of Strong white bread flour
- 10g Fast action dried yeast
- 25g Caster sugar
- 25g Butter
- 300ml Milk
- 300ml of Double cream for whipping
- Drop of vanilla bean paste
- Strawberry Jam about 3/4 of jar
- 25g Caster sugar (If you want to sweeten the cream)
Method for buns
- Add the flour, sugar, yeast and a pinch of salt into a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl and warm the milk so it is hand touch hot. Add the milk and butter to the flour mix and knead together until forms a rough dough.
- Tip the dough onto a clean work surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until soft and stretchy. Then place the dough in a floured bowl and leave to ride until doubled in size.
- Once doubles divide into 12 buns and place on a lined baking tray and leave to rise again for about 30 minutes until risen again.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celcius and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack, make your cream by whisk the cream add the sugar and vanilla bean paste half way and whisk until forms soft peaks.
- Cut the buns open and fill with the Jam and cream.