Thank you everyone for all my lovely birthday wishes, surprisingly I didn’t make my own birthday cake this year- this is usually what ends up happening, instead I had 3 different bakes’ Baked raspberry cheesecake made by my sister, Coffee cake by Kate – a work colluege and a lemon cake by Emily – one of my besties. With Coffee and lemon being two of my favourites I think I did pretty well really! I had grapefruit left over after buying some for gin and tonics so a simple Grapefruit and poppy seed biscuits was perfect. They also went perfectly with my new tea towel that I recieved as a birthday present.
- 275g Plain flour
- 1-2 tablespoons of poppy seeds
- pinch of salt
- 225g Butter
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- 150g Caster sugar
- 1 Egg
- Zest of 1 red grapefruit
- Juice of 1/2 Red Grapefruit
- Drop of vanilla bean paste
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees, line two baking trays with greese proof paper or teflon sheets.
- Weigh and mix together all the dry ingredients; flour, salt, baking powder and poppy seeds.
- In a separate bowl best together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, vanilla, grapefruit zest and juice to the sugar mix. Beat together until well mixed.
- Add the sugar mix to the flour and fold together until no lumps.
- Using spoons or a cookie scoop drop small pieces about an inch apart on the tray to allow for spreading.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until golden.