This weeks bake is because I am completely addicted to hot cross buns, I can not get enough of them. My personal favourites are the salted caramel and chocolate ones from M&S. However this aside I had to make some of my own with my own twist on a wonderful classic, most years I make chocolate orange ones but I decided to mix things up a little and the results were amazing.
- 500g Strong White Bread Flour
- 10g Fast Action Dried Yeast
- 10g Salt
- 75g Caster Sugar
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 40g Unsalted Butter
- 100ml Warm Milk
- 100ml Water
- 100g Dark Chocolate (70% cocoa solids +)
- 20g Mixed Peel
- 60g Stem Ginger (In Syrup)
- 50g Mixed fruit
- 1 Apple
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 1 tsp of Cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp of Ground Ginger
Ingredients for the Crosses
- 75g Plain Flour
- 75ml Water
- Syrup from stem ginger.
- Put the flour in a large mixing bowl with the salt, sugar and yeast. Then add the butter, eggs and milk. Mix with a wooden spoon until it starts to come together add the water a little at a time – you may not need it all.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until stretchy when pulled and nice and soft dough.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover and leave to rise in a warm area until doubled in size (Approx 1 hour).
- Whilst the dough is proving- prepare the fruit filling. Grate the apple and orange zest into a bowl, add the mixed fruit, the mixed peel, steam ginger, cinnamon and ground ginger. Chop the chocolate and add to the bowl and mix together.
- Once the dough has risen, knock it back and place on a lightly floured surface and stretch out and put the fruit mix into the centre. Fold the edges inwards and knead together until all the fruit is evenly distributed amongst the dough.
- Place the dough bake into the oiled bowl and leave to rise until doubled again (Approx 1 hour).
- Once risen spilt the dough into 12 and roll into balls, place on two baking trays and leave to prove again until doubled.
- Mix the flour and water together for the cross and fill a pilling bag.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius. Pipe the flour mix onto each of the buns and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Glaze the buns with the stem ginger syrup whilst warm, then enjoy warm to leave to cool and enjoy toasted.