Into the second week of #Willeyschristmasbakes I decided to make Sweet spiced iced biscuits with the help of a poll on instagram the results were quite mixed so the other option I will make next week just to keep everyone happy. I used a basic biscuit recipe I have used before but adjust to give them a Christmassy twist! The spices used in these biscuits are light and aren’t too powerful with just a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg. I used a set of 3 snowflake cutters for mine from Johnlewis but you could use any cutters you wish, these could also be made into tree decorations by using a skewer and poking a hole through before cooking. This should leave a hole big enough to pass some thread through. I didn’t do this with my cookies as my tree won’t be up for another week and these will all be eaten before then! And of course I finished mine of with some edible glitter because if you can’t use it at Christmas when can you?! This is a very easy and simple bake perfect to make in an evening.
- 1 Whole egg
- 1/4 tsp of Vanilla bean paste
- 250g Salted Butter
- 375g of Plain flour
- 150g Caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp of Cinnamon
- 1/2 Whole Nutmeg (Grated)
- 200g Icing sugar
- Edible Glitter
- First pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.Line two baking trays with grease proof paper or reusable baking sheets if you have them.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light in colour and cream. Then beat in the egg and vanilla bean paste.
- Then add the flour and spices and mix until forms a soft ball, then use your hands to knead to bring the dough together.
- Roll out the dough and use cutters to cut out shapes in the dough.
- Bake the shapes in the oven for 10 minutes until golden brown, time may vary slightly depending on the size of your biscuits as smaller biscuits cook faster.
- You will have some dough left over so re-roll until you have used up the dough.
- Once the cookies are baked transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the icing mixing the icing sugar with drops of water until you have a thick but runny consistency, then fill a pipping bag then cut the end off very small and pipe decorations onto your cookies, I added the edible glitter into my icing to give it a sparkly finish but you can add colourings if you like.