This weeks bake was because I was craving Bakewell tart but let’s be honest I could go and do the traditional kind. The inspiration for the different flavour was because I thought by using marmalade it would make the bake less sweet and sickly as it can sometimes be with all the icing, and of course I had to do some spiderweb feathering as it’s so close to Halloween. I’ve been rushing the weekly bake the last few weeks as getting home when it’s dark and not preplanning so having to buy ingredients on the way home means that I slightly burnt the top of the almond sponge mix this week as I was busy quickly dinner and had knocked the oven temperature up too high. This bake can take quite a while as there are a a number of stages that require cooling or resting time, but less hands on time. Hands on time is approx 45mins.
Ingredients for the Pastry
- 200g Plain flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 130g Butter
- Water to combine.
Ingredients for the filling
- 175g of Softened Butter
- 175g of Caster Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 125g Ground Almonds
- 70g Plain flour
- 3/4 of Jar Marmalade or Jam if you prefer
- Drop of milk (if the mixture is too thick.)
- Vanilla essence
Ingredients for icing
- 300g of Icing sugar
- 25g Dark Chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Grease a 3cm deep tart tin with a loose bottom.
- Weigh out the ingredients for the pastry then rub together the butter into the mix until it resembles breadcrumbs. Then bring together by add a little water until forms a ball.
- Wrap the pastry in cling film and leave in fridge to chill for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add the vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs one at a time until we’ll combined it may curdle slighty just add a little of the flour and ground almonds if it starts to do this.
- The fold in any remaining plain flour and ground almonds.
- Roll the pastry out to fit the tart tin and using a ball of pastry unsure that it is shaped properly. Then trim the edges using a knife.
- Blind bake the pastry in the oven for 10mintues, make sure the pastry is covered and weighted, once cooked leave to cool for 10mins.
- Melt the Marmalade in a heat proof bowl in the microwave for about 1 minute and stir well to ensure all melted.
- Pour the marmalade over the pastry and spread evenly, then allow to set slightly for 5 minutes.
- Carefully place the almond cake mixture on top and spread evenly using a palate knife then bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and add water until you have the runny but glossy icing.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a piping bag in the microwave this way it saves washing up! Pour the white icing over the top of the tart and spread evenly, then pipe circles starting from the centre working you way out. Then using a skewer drag it out towards the edge in lines to create the web.