Well I couldn’t just stop at a year could I! So I’ve decided to carry on doing my weekly bakes as I enjoy the personal challenge and it ensure that I carry on with my hobby rather than just dropping it to lie in bed and watch TV in an evening. This weeks bake was once again inspired by the seasonal fruit that is growing in the garden. We have an abundance of apples and can’t eat them quick enough! I love muffins with fruit in as they go so soft with a crunchy crumble top they are even better, almost a good as an actual crumble.
Prep time: 20 mins Bake time: 10- 15mins
Ingredients for the muffins (Makes about 12 medium sized muffins)
- 225g of Self rasing flour
- 1 tsp of Baking powder
- 1 Egg
- 100g of Caster Sugar
- 240ml Milk
- 90ml of Vegetable oil
- 125g of finely chopped cooking apple
- 80g of Blackberries
- 75g of Oats
- 1/2 tsp of Cinnamon
- 1 tsp of Vanilla extract
Ingredients for the crumble topping
- 75g of Plain flour
- 50g of Oats
- 50g of Soft brown sugar
- 75g of Salted butter
- First pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees celcius. Line a muffin tin with 12 cases.
- Weigh out and mix together all the dry ingredients- Flour, baking powder, sugar and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl measure and whisk together all the wet ingredients – oil, milk, egg and vanilla extract.
- Peel, core and finely chop up the apple and add to the wet mix along with the blackberries.
- Add the wet mixture into the dry and fold together, do not mix too much as you will loose rise, there may still be lumps in your mixture.
- Put the muffin mixture to one side and add all the crumble ingredients into one bowl then using your thumb and forefinger rub in the fat until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Spoon the muffin mix into the cases and top with a little crumble mix, bake in the oven for 10-15mins until golden brown.
- Enjoy warm or leave to cool if preferred.