This weeks bake just had to be bread I hadn’t bake any in ages. In between weekly bakes I had before been making sourdough but with limited time I had let that lay dormant in the fridge for about a month. So to get my bread fix I mixed it up and decided to make focaccia with the blackberry season just creeping in, I thought now is the time to use the left over blackberries in the freezer from last Summer/Autumn. I also mixed it up and used half wholemeal flour to add a slightly nutty taste and to make it a little bit healthier. I think the blackberries work really well in this savoury bread as they are quite sharp but when paired with a strong mature cheddar it cuts through it perfectly. This bake takes slightly longer as you have to wait to let it prove, but the actual hands on time is less. So that’s a win in my eyes!
- 250g of Strong white bread flour
- 250g of Strong wholemeal bread flour
- 90ml of Olive oil
- 275ml of Warm water
- 1 x 7g Sachet of yeast
- 2 tsp of sea salt
- 200g of Blackberries
- Handful of fresh Oregano
- Extra Sea salt and Olive oil to finish.
- Weigh out all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Making sure to keep the salt and yeast separate as the salt can deactivate the yeast.
- Measure the water and oil in the same jug and slowly add this to the dry ingredients whilst mixing until it comes together. The more water/oil you add the lighter the dough will be.
- Knead the dough on a lightly oiled surface for about 10 minutes or until soft. When a finger is lightly pressed in 3/4 of cm the dough you spring back up.
- Shape the dough into a flattened oblong shape and place on a baking tray, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place to prove (rise) until almost double the size. This normally takes about 1.5 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- Once proved add the toppings to the dough, use a knife and make little slots to allow the dough to expand, adding the blackberries in pushing them into the dough about 1cm in.
- Using the leaves of the Oregano push them in around the Blackberries, then little drizzle a small amount of olive oil over the top and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with a little sea salt and drizzle with olive oil if and left over Oregano sprinkle on top too. Enjoy served warm perfect for a late summer salad.