This weekly bake may seem a odd to most people, you will probably be thinking what on earth are lactation cookies?! Lactation cookies are cookies made with oats and various seeds to help improve a mothers milk supply when best feeding. I have made them for my boss who’s baby is due any day now. Really though they are just yummy cookies and really addictive -I ate about 5 in one go! This bake was quick and simple to make and may make you feel a little bit healthier by having oats and seeds in your cookies. The recipe makes about 24 small cookies.
- 113g Softened Butter
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 55g Soft Brown Sugar
- 3 table spoons of seeds (I used 2 flax seeds and 1 chia seeds)
- 1 Egg
- 125g Plain flour
- 150g Oats
- 1/2 tsp of Bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp of cream of tar tar
- 100g of Chocolate chips (You can use whichever you like best I did half dark half milk chocolate)
- 1tsp of Vanilla extract
- To start pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line 2 baking trays with baking parchement or reusable cookie sheets.
- Soak the seeds in enough water so that it is covering them and leave until ready to add into mixture.
- Weigh out both sugars and butter and cream together until smooth and creamy, then add the egg and vanilla extract.
- Add the oats, flour, raising agents and seeds into the mixture and combine until no lumps of flour, once mixed add the chocolate chips.
- If the dough is not too wet use you hands to make walnut sized balls and roll them and place on trays, if too wet spoon onto the tray.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes they will still be slightly soft so allow to harder for a few minutes on the tray before removing and cooling completely on a wire rack.
This bake was super easy and good to make if you don’t have much time, let’s hope the boss likes them!